1. It’s not all about ‘free’ weights. I started out my career believing free weights were much superior to machines and preaching this message. In hindsight, they both very much have their place.
2. People will yoyo diet and that’s OK. In a perfect world, you’d lose weight, be in great shape and live happily ever after. However, life gets in the way. You might fall off the wagon for a few days, weeks, months , years. It’s up to us as trainers to work together with our members to meet you where you’re at, create a plan and accept that the only way to look is forward.
3. Never assume. Quite simply, we likely won’t know what a person has experienced over the past 7 days or since we seen them last. It may have taken all their strength to make it to the gym, after a night looking after a sick child or family member, or stressing about work. As a coach, empathy goes a long way.
4. It’s not all about weight loss. An hour out of the house can be as beneficial to someone as losing 2 stone. Just because I think someone needs to lose 2 stone doesn’t mean that’s what they want, or need. Forcing your opinion on someone is a certain road to no where.
5. There’s no substitute for hard work. In fat loss, muscle gain, trying to get fitter, trying to eat better, trying to achieve a specific target or goal, hard work is what will get you there. Make your plan. Put the hours in.
6. You’ll never please everyone. After the first time a client decided to stop training, I spent ages trying to figure out what I could have done different. It’s important to realise that sometimes, people like a change, or life gets in the road. If you took it to heart any time you received criticism or a member left, you’d spend a lot of time being sad. Keep the blinkers on and keep working hard, that’s the best you can do.
It’s all a big learning curve and nobody knows everything, so why pretend to. At T1 Fitness, we try and do what’s right for every individual member who steps through the door. If you want to find out more about what we offer, visit our services page.